Thursday, September 24, 2009

Busses, Doctors, and Warhol...Oh my! (with bonus material!)


A whole bunch to write on, because a whole lot has amused me in the past few days so...prepare yourself for some random thought dump-age! Here we go! List away!

1) Pullman Transit


I rode with the friendliest bus driver I've ever seen the other day and he amused all of our class-weary minds on our way to "apartment-land" even as we were all crammed in rather like sardines. He even suggested crowd-surfing someone up to the front of the bus to get him off. It was fun. I also heard a suggestion that may actually be a good one: Pullman should get double-decker busses! It would help with the whole 'too many people' thing at rush times (essentially before every hour). What made this suggestion even better was the comment that followed: "Because its so much fun stumbling up the stairs of a double-decker when you're completely
shit-faced." Oh Pullman, how classy your inhabitants are...

I should also include one of today's "Overheard in Pullman" as its very fittign and amusing.

"Have you ever been with me before? I drive fast as shit!" - Said the wild-eyed transit driver to
the group of freaked-out freshmen

2) Parasitology

Parasitology on Weds was a movie day, which you know is ALWAYS great. Until you remember you're in Parasitology and what that will mean in a special entitled "Parasites: eating us alive." Yup, lots of graphic moments and gory descriptions. The worst thing was not the worms moving around on MRIs or X-rays or whatever, it was seeing people walking around with Elephantiasis and legs 3x the size of their other one. Gah. The whole special was overly melodramatic and the audio didn't always match the video, but the best part which made me start giggling at a horribly inappropriate moment was this one quote:

"...Until one of the doctors remembered his med school training..."

Because it took how many days and people dying of a parasitic infections for a doctor to remember the training he got for, oh, I don't know...his job?! What was he going off of before? Magic 8 Ball predictions..."Is this a virus? Hmmm...'Reply hazy, try again'." Gawd...

3) Art Theory

We covered Andy Warhol on Weds in my Art Theory class and I was reminded why I love him so much. He's so quirky. He was also one of those people you just have to smile at when he descrbes his philosophy for art as: "Art is everything, and everything is art." He's also such an interesting person because he accepted everyone for who/what they are and at the same time shook up the art world by making art out of things/of things that, before then, weren't art. I found out he did commercial advertisments and was proud of them. Hell, I would be too! Take a look!

Yeah, We're doing Roy Lichtenstein on Friday. Will probably have more then. :)

4) Animal Development

I've apparently taken too many uper-devision science classes for this lab. I had a quiz today and was overthinking absolutely EVERYTHING! Its a good thing I caught myself and dumbed my answers down to a 300 level class (although I think it should be 200 level...), so I think I did good.

A mini side rant here: If you're listening to music on your iPod and you have the volume up high enough that I can hear the song clear enough to sing along with your music perfectly from 20 feet away...you might want to turn it down a smidgen before you...I dunno...blow out your ear-drum. Oh. Wait. Too late. Try getting better ear-buds, kid. On a related note, AC/DC isn't really good pre-test music. It just made me wanna watch Supernatural (New episode tonight!)



5) My zany friends

A few random moments here:

Road trips to Lewiston/Clarkston to buy a shit ton of beer for party this weekend draws some pretty interesting looks. Especially when you've got an entire cart full of beer. :) I've also sold my soul...I went grocery shopping in Wal-Mart [sigh] I'm such a supporter for human rights... Another fitting "Overheard" here:

"I'm not gonna drink Busch Light! What do you think I am, a freshman?" - How cosmopolitan. Where's your monocle Mr. Sophistication?

Tiffany is going to color-code her children so she has no problem telling them apart (at least until someone cough*me*cough teaches them to swap clothes just the screw with their mother's head). She and I are also very likely to have twins.

Little Lou the cat is crazy and has a bag fixation: If you offer him a bag he'll crawl inside and lay down so you can tote him around in a grocery sack. Hillarity ensues when he manages to get a leg out of a hole and tries to escape/defend himself from tickling-tormentors. It also leads to the ultimate perfect moment quote: "Well, the cat's out of the bag now..."


6) Maitenance

They're still working on the hot water tank right now (banging and clanging around), so I still don't have water. It will be done tonight though, John (my landlord) said so when he poked his head out of the laundry room to answer my question.

No comments: