Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to School: A Quick Rant On Classes And Proffs

Washington State University is officially two days into its Fall 2008 semester and even after the standard first class syllabus/class intro I've already formed some strong opinions on each of them.

Bio 352- Cell Physiology: Class content is about what I expected, as I've taken...I dunno how many classes that cover the basics of this. Now I'll get to go into the super fine details of all of this! The biggest up point is that the Proff has been teaching it for years and I've heard nothing but good things about his classes.

AS 285- Rights and Welfare of Animals: This'll count towards nothing in either my major or minor but I decided to take it anyways because it sounded interesting. I forgot that I'm a ZOOLOGY major in my junior year. No offence to Animal Science majors, I love you all, but I'm used to the hard science aspects of biology. Plus this is being "taught like a 200 level class" which means I end up craving deep/difficult discussions by the end of it. Its an ethics class as well, so there is no right or wrong so long as you can give accurate, well worded justification. This is my "To drop if I get overwhelmed" class.

Bio 321- Animal Development: the lecture left me a bit apprehensive because the instructor seemed a bit too nervous and unorganized to have taught the course before. The TA, whom I met today, however makes up for that in spades. She's experiences, knowledgeable, and very interested in talking with us and making sure we understand everything. However, with class and lab combined I have 6 exams for that class alone to worry about. X_x

UH 330- Intro to Ancient Greek Literature and Culture: Very interesting topic and a very experienced teacher. I'm REALLY looking forward to this class despite the massive amounts of reading required. The one drawback is the presence of one of "Those People" in the class. By "Those People" I mean the ones who feel the need to argue with the professor about everything and think that they're more knowledgeable/smarter etc. All I have to say to him is this: If you already know so much about Greek Literature and Culture, why are you taking a class on it? Go expand your knowledge banks and leave my class to learn in peace.

Poli S 198- Intro Poli Sci Honors: I instantly fell in love. The instructor is very relaxed with us and keeps us interested. He knows his stuff and has changed the purpose of the class from "Intro to American Govt." to "Intro to Democracy" and is allowing us to create our own opinions. VERY excited about this class.

UH 398-Thesis Proposal: What have I signed myself up for? The instructor reminds me of a crazy creative writing teacher I had. This frightens me. We has someone from the Libraries come to show us how to search on the library system. He couldn't type without looking at his fingers for the letters and I had to suggest using the "back" button to get back to the library front page. Seriously. What have I signed up for? But I need to pressure to get working on my thesis. Not that this really counts as pressure. I'm thinking of it as incentive to get my adviser ASAP to get out of the class before the semester ends.

All in all, I'm in for an interesting semester...gods all help me.

No comments: