Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bunny Surgery: the 6.5 hour lab

My feet hate me. I was standing for almost 6.5 hours STRAIGHT while I was Assistant Surgan for lab today and our first bunny surgery.

Things I learned:
-Prayers for campus-wide blackout extentions are never answered.
-My lab coat's sleeves are stiff from juices and liquids from my anatomy dissections I really don't want to think about
-'Monty' is a very fitting name for a red-eyed, white rabbit (kuddos if you get the reference)
-Ketamine knocks out a rabbit very quickly
-The College of Biological Science isn't too worried about people stealing said ketamine and don't lock it up between labs aside from locking the lab.
-My lab group works very well together
-It is very easy to get a rabbit into a literal comatose state withing 2 hours using carcinogenetic anensthesia 
-Weezing bunnies (because of mucus in lungs/airways) sound like quietly screaming children
-the best rubber gloves are kept in upper division Biology labs (I should have stolen a bunch and shoved them in my pockets for anatomy!)
-Blunt dissection in living animals is terrifying
-Tracheas look like a vaccum hose (flexiblue tube with rings)
-Jugular veins are HUGE 
-Carotid arteries are pretty small but pump a massive amount of blood
-Carotid arteries are easy to knick with clamps 
-I am quick to react to "Oh shit!" situations in surguries and am quick at clamping off knicked arteries.
-Our group's 'problem' with the carotid paled in comparison to another's in our section which involved a literal fountain of blood, a TA getting a new blood splatter pattern on her coat (yes, I said new), and a student getting blood on their face
-the vagus nerve is pretty big and easy to identify
-the depressor nerve is thinner than the thread we use to tie tubes and lines in place with (regular sewing string)
-cutting nerves and stimulating ends and injecting epinepherine and acetylcholine caused interesting reactions in heart rate and pulse.
-clots in arteries can be broken up by massaging them
-My lab manual insists that we don't 'humanely euthenize' our rabbits after lab, but instead 'sacrifice the animal' -- I feel like I've made an offering to some cult or something now...are bio majors a cult?
-Flatlining on DOS computers looks so much lamer than it does on the machines in House
-everyone in my lab has a pretty sick sense of humour and we saved the screen that showed the death of Monty
-Lab started at noon and went until 6:30.

Time for bed.

P.S: I've got one more day being 20.
P.P.S: WSU Acoustic Concert with Dustin Kensrue tomorrow night, tickets still available, $5

1 comment:

Selena said...

Your life=way cooler than mine. And I totally got the Monty reference, we should watch the movie the next time your back on this side of the Mountains!