Thursday, January 22, 2009

'Free time'? What is this 'free time' you speak of?

Yeah, I've just confirmed something I was afraid about. I will have no time to do anything this semester. Classes are just the beginning.

I tell people I'm taking 12 credits and then moan that I won't have time to do anything and they look at me wierd. So I tell them all 12 credits are for lab classes. The most straightforward of which is my Ecology class with two lectures a week and a single lab. No biggie there, its simple and interesting, although the proff is a bit awkward, I've dealt with worse. I get to listen to what creates climates and how species survive, etc. and then play with expensive technology in lab. Yay.

Next is Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy, with two lectures a week and two labs. This is going to be a hell of a lot of memorization but it will definately be the best class of the three. I may be a bio nerd for saying so, but playing with animal skulls and vertebrae is fun and the three disections we'll be doing (shark, cat, and sheep brain) are going to be awesome! We're talking about DINOSAURS now! :D

What will not be awesome will be Mammalian Physiology, where the teacher can't teach and is stumbling through slides in a painful way. I'll get around that and read the book. Lab, however interesting it will be, is going to cause me a lot of stress. I have confirmed today that experiment-labs can take 5 hours to complete and that for 3 experiments we will be using live rabbits. We'll be measuring out and adminstering anesthetics and at the end, euthenizing the rabbit. There are four possible positions you can take in your group for each experiment: surgan, assistant surgan, anasthesiologist, and note taker. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do all of it, once I'm shown what to do. I'll probably just be a little quiet after lab. 

On top of this, I've got two part-time jobs (which I need to replace or I will go insane), I donate plasma twice a week, and I am an active member of zoology club. 

I'm doomed.

No comments: