Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What was I thinking?

Three Biol classes at once? Really? I didn't think that one out all the way, I can tell you that right now. The semester's only been in session for two days and I'm already thinking, "Crap, how am I going to survive?" 

Quick run down so far:

1) Mammalian Physiology--Ok, this class would rock if the teacher could actually teach. As it is we have to scramble to interpret his scrawled overheads as he whips through them at warp speed and trys to be entertaining while he stumbles his way through the lesson. The topic is really interesting, lab will suck ass and be emotionally draining and will probably keep me from keeping a rabbit as a pet for the rest of my life as they are the subjects for our experiments. 

2) Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy (CVA) Lab--Oh. My. God. THIS IS SO COOL! Right off the bat I know I'm hooked. I come into lab, not sure if we'll actually have class seeing as its the first day and we haven't had lecture yet, and there are full skeletons on the desks. The TAs are cool and relaxed and cracking jokes at us and we're playing with cat spines on strings so we can learn all the bones and their rediculous names. Despite all the memorization that will be involved and the near requirement to come into lab on our own time, this is going to be awesome. I hope lecture tomorrow is just as good.

3) Ecology--Ok, this is going to be a kinda BS class in my mind. That doens't mean I won't try or anything, but seriously, we spent the day defining Ecology, population, community, ecosystem, and biosphere. The proff knows his shit and it looks like we'll be having a good class here. Yays!

4) Ecology Lab--A serious BS class. We had to learn how to critique scholarly journals and started an experiment which involved counting out duckweed sprouts. Seriously? In a 300 level biology class you don't think we know how to read and comprehend and rate scholarly journals? Gawd. We will, however, take "field trips" out onto campus to do...stuff. [shrug] whatever.

Overall, I've got a lot of shit to do all semester and, adding working at my two jobs to the mix, makes me a very busy girl. I've also got to work on my thesis proposal to get that finished up. Gah...

I'm off to drown my sorrows in ice cream and TV... 

No comments: